Friday, December 12

An Overdue Update

Hello All,

It's been awhile since I've updated this for Jodi. I know some of you have to be curious about what has beend going on with me. The word "busy" doesn't even come close to describing how hectic things have been. As an example, I've been doing so much that I didn't even realize I haven't been home in 6 months! You could say that has at least been a blessing since the time has really flown by.

The KIDD is getting ready for her maiden deployment. We've done nothing but training to get ready. That means lots of scenerios and drills to run and a lot of eyes watching us to make sure we are ready. I'm constantly amazed at how much this crew is able to do with the amount of training we've gone through. They almost make it seem effortless. The best part is that every pair of eyes that has looked at us say that this is one of the most professional ships they've seen!

We've done plenty of gun shoots and I feel sorry for the poor sap who is on the receiving end of one of our volleys!

The KIDD also acts as a helo port and we can launch our helicopters in a matter of minutes in support of a variety of missions. These evolutions have been a little more intensive lately because of the sea state we've encountered on our training missions.

To go along with the higher than normal waves we also have to combat the fog that plagues the Southern California area. The temperature between the water and air is usually only a slight difference so we get some thick fog out here. Last time we were out you couldn't even see 30ft in front of the bridge! Thank God for RADAR.

I also got to see some of the more unique operations the Navy sometimes engages in. I got to take 300lbs of C4 out into the middle of the ocean and detonate it! Not something that Jodi was too thrilled about, but the boom was pretty cool. The C4 wasn't even the scary part. When we dropped the small boat to get the C4 out there we were taking an 18 meter boat into the middle of 20 foot seas. To put that in perspective, when we were in the valley of the waves looking up I could only see a wall of water coming at me and nothing else!

Along with all the ship training I'm also working on my own personal qualifications. In the last 6 months I've finished a small boat officer qualification, an engineering officer qualification, and a combat watch officer qualification. I can't help but smile everytime I finish one of these qualifications. I wonder how many people would ever picture me being a driving force behind the navigation, combat, and engineering platforms on the most modern warship in the fleet? On our last underway I drove, what we call Conning, the ship into an extremely difficult port. When it was over I just looked at the Captain and started laughing. When he asked what I thought was so funny I told him. "I'm not supposed to be here! I should be throwing bales of hay or working in a garage somewhere, not driving a 9000 ton warship into a port!"

It's been an exciting 6 months, but I'm ready to be home. I know Jodi and the kids are definitely ready for me to be home. Arianna keeps asking when Christmas is cause she knows thats when I'll be home next. The poor little thing got her hopes up when it started to snow one day. I called home and she asked if I was going to be home that night. I told her no, and then she said, "But daddy it's Christmas! It's snowing!"

Thank you all for the continued support of me and my family. I look forward to seeing everyone I can when I get home next week. Until then everyone have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year if I don't see you.

Stay Motivated.

Rob

No comments: