Saturday, July 19

Last Couple of Weeks

The last couple of weeks have been insane here on the ship. The ship is continuing to train and get ready for our deployment. We did get a chance to stop in San Francisco for a couple of days. What a beautiful city to visit. The scenery was amazing and the sights were breathtaking.
I got to walk the hill where they film any chase scene in San Fran. I didn't get to make it to Alcatraz, all the tours were booked full. I did get a chance to go to a Giants game and watch them play the Cubs. Sorry Joel, but the Cubs lost big that day. It was still a lot of fun.

On the way back we did a lot of training and I got to spend more time working on my shiphandling. I got to pull the ship in and moor it to the pier. It really was amazing. I'm continually amazed at how the slightest adjustment of rudder or engines has an impact on the entire ship. It's more of an art form than a science and I'm still learning. The Captain and the other officers have been great teachers and I appreciate their patience. We went through another certification last week and drilled hard all week. We passed, but we're all a litttle burnt out right now. It's like Doug had told me one time, when you get through one thing there is always something else waiting for you, and the ship is now trying to get ready for our next inspection next month.

Unfortunately I won't be coming home any time soon. Time off is dependent on the needs of the Navy and the Navy doesn't think I need time off. The Navy wants me to train more, so the time I did have to go home has been pulled and I've been assigned to two schools that should help me progress faster in my qualifications and shiphandling. It was one of those bitter-sweet events. I'm excited about learning more, but I'd really like to see my wife and kids sometime soon. I'm hoping I might be able to get Jodi and Arianna out here for a weekend, but that will really depend on timing. It's hard when I talk to Roo at night when she asks if I can come home right now. Hopefully something will work out with the schedule and we can be a together for a little bit.

Until then I'll just keep my head down and keep working. Maybe I can work my way out of a school and get home. Unitl then I thank all of you for the support and look forward to the next time we can meet in person.

No comments: